More than 1,900 researchers describe ‘attacks’ on science by the White House: ‘We see a real danger’

More than 1,900 researchers describe 'attacks' on science by the White House: 'We see a real danger'

Nearly 2,000 scientists, engineers and researchers write Open letter This week to President Donald Trump’s administration, called for stopping to “attack” on science.

The letter was signed by elected members from the National Sciences Academy, Engineering and Medicine, a Congress -rented organization Provide independent analysis and help inform public policy decisions.

This group clarifies that the signing expresses their own views and not from the National Academy or their home institutions.

“We speak as individuals. We see the real danger at this time,” said the letter, in part. “We have diverse political beliefs, but we are united as researchers in the desire to protect independent scientific investigations. We send this SOS to sound a clear warning: the state scientific company is being destroyed.”

“We ask the administration to stop the wholesale attack on US science, and we urge the public to join this call,” the letter continued.

President Donald Trump walked from the oval office to ride the Marine One in South Lawn White House on his way to Florida, March 28, 2025, in Washington.

Mark Schiefelbein/AP

This group called Trump administration for action including final funding for research, firing scientists and removing public access to data.

Recently, several active research grants related to studies involving LGBTQ+problems, as well as gender, equity and inclusion diversity, canceled at the National Institutes of Health. According to termination letters sent to researchers at various universities reviewed by ABC News, the projects were canceled because they did not serve the current “priority” of administration.

In addition, early this year the staff were dismissed throughout the Department of Health and Humanitarian Services as part of the efficiency efforts of the Elon Musk Government Department to reduce the federal government size.

Earlier this month, HHS also seemed to have dropped a web page from the Surgeon General Office which included weapons violence advisers. In a statement to ABC News, HHS said that the department “and the office general office comply with President Trump’s executive order to protect the second amendment rights.”

The White House did not immediately respond to ABC News’s request to comment on the letter.

“If our country’s research company is demolished, we will lose our scientific excellence,” the letter continued. “Other countries will lead the development of new disease care, clean energy sources, and new technology in the future. Their population will be healthier, and their economy will exceed us in business, defense, intelligence collection, and monitor our planet’s health. Damage to the scientific company of our country can take decades.”

The letter came when layoffs began at HHS, including the National Institutes of Health, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, and Food and Drug Administration.

Up to 10,000 people are expected to lose their jobs in this layoffs, the amount that can significantly change the role and ability of the department. That is in addition to nearly 10,000 who have left the agency in recent months through an early purchase or retirement offer.

ABC News’ Hannah Demissie, Cheyenne Haslett and Ethic Strauss contributed to this report.

Releted Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

four × 3 =